Donnerstag, 9. April 2015

H - is for health care

my local pharmacy
When I first moved to Switzerland, I had not been insured. I have a pre-existing condition and had no coverage in the US, but here in Switzerland, health insurance is a legal obligation, so I got all set up and wouldn't you know that I'm healthier than I've ever been before.
The Swiss system isn't perfect, and it is definitely not that socialized health care the republicans in the US are afraid of, but it works for me. One must remember, though, that I am a resident alien. I've got papers and am a legal eagle. For undocumented workers forever, healthcare is even more terrifying to live in a place with mandatory coverage.
So there's the mandatory and affordable (within reason) health insurance and then there are the pharmacies. When I first went into a pharmacy and was looking for a drug that I'd used in the states for digestive well-being, I was given a tea that was all natural and worked wonderfully. I would not expect this in the US. Pharmicists are also regularly approached to look at a rash or consult on small medical issues (there's a private room to do this.) They do not only dispense pills.
But then there's Switzerland's dirty little secret: It's not immunized. When  outbreaks of measles or "German measles" occur in the US, it's typically after some american family has visited Switzerland. They have one of the lowest rates of immunization in Europe (with measles, they're below the 95 percent of immunized citizens, which is the amount needed to eradicate the disease.) When the soccer European Cup competition was co-hosted by Switzerland, the World Health Organization had to warn visitors about the health risks that the measles presented.

1 Kommentar: